2 liters of Water
½ cup of sugar
4 black or green tea tee bags or 3 tablespoon of loose tea
1 SCOBY (symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast)
1. Bring water and sugar to boil
2. Add tea
3. Let it cool down to room temperature (it’s important for it to be at room temperature otherwise the SCOBY can get damaged)
4. Remove the tea bags and poor the tea into a glass jar or bowl
5. Add SCOBY (SCOBYs are stored in the refrigerator in enough finished Kombucha so it is completely covered. When making a new batch of Kombucha it is really helpful to add that Kombucha the SCOBY was in to the new tea. It will help the fermentation process).
6. Cover the glass jar/bowl with a piece of cloth or paper coffee filter and an elastic
7. The fermentation process will take anywhere from 7 days to 2 weeks. You will notice a new SCOBY building on the top
8. You can try the Kombucha through out and once it is fermented to your liking remove the SCOBYs (as now you will have 2) and store them in a glass jar (covered in Kombucha) in the refrigerator until you make your next batch.
– The recipe can easily be doubled, tripled etc.
– To make different flavours of Kombucha you can add an herbal tea (Peppermint, Fennel, Rooibos etc) in addition to black/green tea.
– Need a SCOBY? Contact me.